Knitting, Olive Oil, and Travels from the Beltway

Knitting, olive oil, recipes, house projects, and good books can all be found here.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

IB English, Reading Gems

As Carly began her Junior Year, and we had to purchase $90 worth of books during the first week, for one public, taxpayer-supported IB English high school class, I turned to Amazon. In one order, three shipments in a week's time, we had all nine books. (Sorry, no library books as they must be annotated). There are 300 kids taking this class, from one high school alone. With my Amazon purchase, I didn't have to run to the various Borders and Barnes & Nobles to compete for the purchase.

As it has been, um.....30 years, since my high school English classes, I thought I'd rise to the challenge and read each book before her assignment.

The List:

"Their Eyes Were Watching God" Zora Neale Hurston

"Fences" August Wilson

"Siddhartha" Hermann Hesse

"The Great Gatsby" F. Scott Fitzgerarld

"Chronicle of a Death Foretold" Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"The Sorrow of War" Bao Ninh

"The Metamorphosis" Franz Kafka


Chronicle of a Death Foretold was my first reading assignment. It's clever and it was fun reading good literature again. Then, I took a break an grabbed Philip Roth's newest, Indignation. He's no slouch in the Literary category, and I enjoyed his. As a fellow alumnus of my alma mater, I could feel that we had walked the same paths on campus.

Then I tried to move on to book #2 in the International Baccalaureate series....Siddhartha. OK, I'm struggling on this one! How has this book lasted for 50 years?

Should I be embarrassed that I picked up Danielle Steele's Amazing Grace? That book is nicely enjoyable, and a great read on the treadmill!

If I don't get through Siddhartha before Carly needs to read it, I'll just have to move on to The Sorrow of War...

I can't wait to get to The Great Gatsby!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home